Tuesday, October 12, 2010

12 days and counting!

The half is coming up fast! I have been so busy lately that my training has taken a little bit of a back seat to child rearing and studying. I did manage a nine mile run on Saturday. It was great! It was slower than I would like, but I suppose that's what race day adrenaline is for. My knees felt stiff afterward, and they were sore on Sunday. I woke up feeling great yesterday and did a four mile run. Huge mistake! My left knee locked up after I stopped running. It didn't hurt at all during the run, though. I think I'm dealing with runner's knee. I'm going to take it easy from now until the half. I would rather go in fresh with recovered knees. I may do a few short runs between now and the, but if I can do nine miles, I can do thirteen. Right?

I'm also trying to plan my post-half workouts. I bought "The New Rules of Lifting for Women" a month or so ago. I'm actually super excited to get started on it. I was considering running a full in the spring, but my past knee problems coupled with runner's knee and IT band issues are making me think that would be a mistake. For now I'm going to focus on dropping more weight and speeding up my 5k times. I'm going to run a 5k in November (maybe one in October after the half), and then take a break with 5ks until maybe February. I'm hoping to be down another 15-20 pounds by then. Is it weird that I want to drop the weight to run faster? This is so not something my old heavier self would have done.

No comments:

Post a Comment